February 19, 2014

sergeant pepper's lonely hearts club

Valentine's Day
Probably, by far, in my unwritten autobiography, my least favorite holiday of the year. No excessive baking or little presents left in my corridor mates rooms, the only baking I did was make brownies with a friend then eating the whole pan on her bed while trying to find the movie, That Awkward Moment, which then turned into an awkward moment when I couldn't find the movie That Awkward Moment, (see what I did there?)
Anyways, why Valentine's is my least favorite holiday, not because of the lack of boyfriend every Valentine's Day but in the fact that in the states, it is everywhere. Like everywhere. I would go to the grocery store just to get some food for dinner and BAM! hearts and love everywhere. I have to past by a forest of balloons to just get to the pasta aisle and resist the temptation to not buy the Reese's peanut butter cup shaped hearts..
Or when I'm sitting on my couch watching TV and eating Ben & Jerry's out of the carton, there comes a commercial about "being with your special someone on Valentine's Day".
It's just a slap in the face for me and single people out in the world.
Luckily in Sweden, Valentine's Day is not so prominent as in the states, which is another reason why I love Sweden so much.
I walk into my grocery store, and there are balloons forests and the entrance of the store is not covered in pink and red and I can actually go get food without being distracted by chocolate (well, not that particular day...). It was a normal week.
Until Monday when I got a Valentine's Day package from my parents.
Valentine's Day win.
The picture is a little blurry, because as said in a previous post, I fell in the mud on the way to get said package and landed on my right arm. With my arm still in pain, it was shaky from the fall and my left hand is not that coordinated in taking pictures, so that's the reason for the blurriness.
If you are so kindly wondering, my butt and my right arm are perfectly fine now, thanks for the thought, but my maroon cords and sweater not so much. 
The bag of Reese's peanut butter cups was finished in two days and the box of dark chocolate brownies and half of the Hersheys frosting is already used and I'm halfway done with the bag of chocolate chips...so this package is going to good use, for my stomach.
But then one of my corridor mates asked me what I was doing for Valentine's Day and I responded with this:
"Oh I'm just going to a pub with some friends and drinking my feelings away."
He laughed.
I wasn't kidding.
I did do just that.
On Valentine's Day, one of the student nation pubs, Orvars Krog, was hosting a
"Lonely Hearts Club", thus the name of the title, also a play on The Beatles album . The point of the event was for single people (like myself and my friends) to come drink and eat their feelings away and celebrate being single.
Oh and did I mention that sad, depressing music was playing the entire time? 
We planned to meet at 5PM to begin our depressing/fun night. 
Little did I know that I was the first one there, and since the pub was going to be packed I decided to safe a table and wait for everyone else to come. Then I realized, I was by myself and was going to order a drink by myself and sit by myself with my drink.
If that is not depressing on Valentine's Day, then I don't know what is.
But luckily, I ran into a friend who I could stay with and not look so alone and we waited for our friends to show up. We ordered our drinks and ate delicious burgers and talked about our single lives (despite two of the people at the table that were in a relationship)
This was my number from when I ordered my burger. All numbers for food had sad comics on them, it made us laugh.

This is a Valentine that my friend, Madeline gave me which brighten my mood because the last Valentine I got was in 8th grade and when it was mandatory to bring little Valentine's from Target with the latest cinema craze on them along with chocolate. So getting a homemade Valentine with a piece of chocolate at 20 years old, was just as exciting.

Ok, this freaked me out. I ordered a beer, a Staroprammen to bring me back to my Prague days, and took a small sip of out of it and the foam created a heart.
Weird right? 
Like the bartender didn't even mean to do that because the foam was just normal.
What does this mean?!?!?!
Am I going to find love in a lonely place? 
Is my beer like a crystal ball, where it will tell me what is going to happen in my love life?
I'm still so confused about this. We'll see how my love life goes after this beer-revelation. 
I then stayed in Orvars for a couple of hours with my friend Cassie talking and watching the winter olympics that was playing in the bar, until we headed out at around 9PM to head home, since tomorrow we would both have to wake up early for Lördsdag fika at 8AM, not because we are single and sad.
At least I can say for this Valentine's Day I didn't feel sad or alone and I got to eat and drink my feelings away without being judged. And maybe my beer was telling me something in that I will have a Valentine's next year. 
We'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment