February 5, 2014

last day

Ok so in the midst of trying to remember everything that happened while I was in Spain, I think I confused my days.
I don't know how I just did.
Last post was about the 6th, and this is about the 8th- I have no idea what I did the 7th, like no idea.
I'm sorry, it's been really hard trying to catch up.
But for now here's what I did on the 8th.

January 8th, 2014
Since it was my mom's and I last day in Spain we decided to take to lay low and walk around Pamplona for the last time.
So we went bar/pintxo crawling.
What is that you may ask?
It's when you hop to different bars and have one drink and one pintxo and it becomes your lunch for the day.
So instead of sitting at a restaurant trying to decide between 4 different main dishes and giving yourself a food coma for the 10th time, you eat small dishes, drink beer then coffee and enjoy the day.

Pintxo #1- Frito of Jamón y Queso
Ham & Cheese-fried

Pintxo #2- Frito de Huevo
Egg but like deep fried-ish

Pintxo #3 - Patatas Bravas

Pintxo #4- Toast with jamón, gulas (eel) and shrimp

Pintxo #5- Toast with tomato, brie cheese, tomato, jamón and walnuts

Pintxo #6- Escombros

This is my with Ernest Hemingway. Not the real dude the statue.
Ernest Hemingway is kind of a big deal in Spain in that he wrote a lot about Spanish culture, especially about culture in the North.
i.e The Sun Also Rises
If you haven't read it, read it, it's good.

After our last pintxo run and last cup of coffee, we said goodbye to our aunt Rosita and then ventured off to my grandmother's house to say goodbye to her and my godparents and my aunt. 
After those goodbyes, we headed back to get our luggage, and said goodbye to my cousins and my sister and her boyfriend.
Then my uncle took my mom and I to the train station where we then said goodbye to him and headed to Madrid for the airport. 

Goodbyes are hard and will forever be hard. 
Through this Spain trip, I know that no matter where I am in Europe I have a little part of home to go to.
Pamplona and the Basque Country did me good in that they fed me well, gave me too much red wine and beer for my liver to handle and gave me lots of memories.
If there is one thing you can do when you go to Spain, is at least visit the Basque Country, just once. It's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment