November 4, 2013

berlin there done that

Folks, this is going to be a long blog post, so I will break it up into 4 posts to save you from your eyes burning from staring at the computer screen too long.
So please sit back, fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride.

Day #1
My flight left at 7:20 so naturally I left my house at 2 and met up with my friends to eat Swedish waffles before the trip. (I mean you can't go on a trip without having some Swedish waffles in your stomach)
It was supposed to say "Berlin" in chocolate syrup but it failed.
I tried..I really tried
After stuffing my face with waffles and coffee, my friends and I met up with 2 of our other friends and hopped on the bus to the airport.
Getting there 2 hours early, we decided to stop for a coffee break.

And in the midst of Stockholm-Arlanda airport, shining in the bright light, it's brown color and smell of coffee whisking my feet off was a Starbucks.

A sweet, warm Starbucks just waiting for me and their Pumpkin Spice Lattes calling my name.
Oh Starbucks how I missed you.
There is no special place in the world that can make me sugary fall drinks and is acceptable to lie about my name without judgement.
It was beautiful, delicious and just what I needed after 3 months without Starbucks.
After enjoying the well needed Pumpkin Spice Latte, we finally boarded the plane to Berlin.
Fun Fact about the airline: Norwegian offers free WiFi while flying, best idea ever.
At 10:30 we finally arrived at Berlin!
Hoping off the plan we made a quick bathroom break where the phrase "Just wait a little" became a famous phrase during the 4 day trip.

Story behind "Just wait a little"
A short story about bad literal translation
Outside the bathroom of the Berlin-Schonefeld Airport was a sign that said
"Bitte warten" (and under it)
"Please wait a little"
Just a little...Like just a little ok?
I know it's probably not that funny, but you had to be there.
After a 5 minute laugh and taking pictures of this hilarious sign, we were off to our hostel.
Now a fact about Berlin, their public transportation system is quick and semi-simple.
There are two main trains that go around Berlin: the U-Bahn & the S-Bahn. 
The S-bahn and the U-bahn were are best friends the past 4 days as we got to know them very well and they helped us get from point A to point B, and they allowed us to sing lots of musical numbers on it.
Now while on the S-bahn at 10:30 at night, we all realized that none of us had eaten for 8 hours.
We were starving. To the point where everything we saw was related to food.
For example:
On the S-bahn the screen would show what the next stop would be.
Näschte Stationen= Nacho Station
Sudkruedz= Saurkraut
Friedrichstraße = French Fry Station
Orianenburger Straße= Orange Burger Station
We were so hungry and our train stop couldn't come any sooner.
But then we arrived...an hour later in our hostel, ready to stuff our faces with any food and to pass out on our college-dormitory style beds.
And it wasn't until midnight that we found a small little Indian restaurant right next to our hostel where I stuffed my face with Lamb Komm (I think that's what it's called...) and German beer.
And that concludes night 1.
And now comes Intermission, this is a time where you can get up, get something to eat/drink (recommend a German beer to go with the theme) before the next showing begins.


No comments:

Post a Comment