November 30, 2013

barcelona pt.1

Just like the Berlin post, the Barcelona's post are going to be a long one.
So I hope you are not too stuffed from Thanksgiving and can handle this long post.

Day #1
Our flight was at 3:35PM, but was not in the Stockholm-Arlanda Airport. It was at the Skavasta Airport on the other side of Stockholm in the middle of nowhere. So we left Uppsala at 11:00, took an hour train ride to Centralstation in Stockholm and then hopped on a 2 hour bus ride to get to the airport. Once at the airport we had an hour and a half to kill, so we stopped and had something to eat until it was time to board.
4 hours later....we landed in Barcelona!
Taking the train to our hostel, we were officially settled in at 8pm. And of course, like the Spanish do, we went off to eat a late dinner.
A recommendation from our hostel, we went to a restaurant called Mussol, where they made Spanish food.
Now a little background story because there is always a story of everything that I do.
Going to Spain, a month before a go back to Spain to see relatives, I was excited, not only because I had never been to Barcelona but I could practice my Spanish so I won't embarrass myself when I see my relatives, because in Sweden, you barely hear a conversation in Spanish.
Fun Fact about Barcelona: They don't really speak Spanish. Well, ok, they do but it's a different form of Spanish, called Catalan which is a mix of Spanish, French and a little bit of Italian.
 The accents sound the same as Spanish, but there are big differences.

For example: (English-Spanish-Catalan)
Goodbye- Adios- Adeu
Please- Por Favor- Si us plau
Thanks You- Gracias- Gracies
You're Welcome- De Nada- De res
How are you?- Como estas?- Com estas?
and so on and so forth.
So trying to pick up my Spanish was difficult and problematic, so there were sometimes where I just spoke English because I didn't know if I was going to make a fool out of myself speaking Spanish and also, it was just easier at times.
(Spanish relatives, if you are reading this, I promise that I will do my best to speak Spanish, although it will be a bit rusty.)

Back to Mussol:
Traveling with a friend who's Spanish knowledge was high school Spanish, I had to help her translate the menu. But then again, the menu was in Catalan.
I did my best guys. I did my best.
But then I recognized the two most important words in the Spanish language.
Jamón Iberico 
If you have no idea what Jamón Iberico is or have never had it, then I would recommend to hop on a plane to Spain and live off of it.
This stuff is amazing. Just have it. And it was what I had for dinner, along with some wine.

French Fries, with a Fried Egg and Jamón Iberico
After enjoying every bite of this, I ended up with dessert that was literally called "Death by Chocolate".
I ate it.
A mountain of chocolate with a pond of cream around it.
Also, this picture of chocolate foreshadows the amount of chocolate I ate during the course of this 3 day trip.
And after filling myself with much needed Spanish food, we returned to our hostel and rested up for the next day.



No comments:

Post a Comment