November 18, 2013

baked

So as my last post described how I would continue to bake again, I did.

During the holidays, especially around Thanksgiving, my family and I always make dessert. We usually do a new dessert and an old dessert (one that we have already made), one of those desserts are my famous Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

Now a few things to now about the process of making these bars.
Because since being in a foreign country, everything that I commonly do back home is an adventure for me here.
1. Other than the American store, there are no chocolate chips here. Also Swedish people do not know what chocolate chips are.
-The chocolate chips in the American store cost about $10 USD, and I decided to drop the Nestle Tollhouse chips and buy three chocolate bars for 90 cents each. I thought that if I took one of the bars and chopped it up into chocolate chip pieces that it would be a good substitute for chocolate chips.
2. Sweden doesn't have graham crackers, not even in the American store. So I had to settle for Maria cookies that could fill the void of graham crackers and my wanting for S'mores in the future.
(No graham crackers?/ I mean what do these people use for s'mores? Do they even make s'mores?)

Then the baking began, at 10:30PM which back in Sonoma was my normal time to bake sweets. A little something that my roommate secretly hated/secretly loved because then it became a midnight to 1AM to 2AM snack and then a 10AM breakfast snack.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars (Swedish Style)
3 cups of graham crackers (if you are in the states or any country that holds graham crackers) Maria cookies
1 cup of butter
1 cup of chocolate chips (or 1 bar of chopped up chocolate bar)
2 cups of chocolate chips (or 2 bars of chocolate)
1 1/2 cup of peanut butter

-Take the cookies/graham crackers and crumble them up, into small chunks. (Don't crumble them up too fine or it won't work for the next step).
*Back in the states, I would put some graham crackers in a big Ziploc bag and smush them with my hand or wooden spoon (hand works better) until all the crackers were dissolved in small chunks- do that if you can.
-Once the crackers/cookies are crumbled well, take butter, slightly melted, and mix crackers/cookies with a spoon until it becomes a paste.
-Take chopped up chocolate (or 1 cup of chips) and mix with butter and cracker/cookie mix.
-Once, mixed well, pour paste into 9x13 pan and spread on the bottom of the pan and pat well so surface is smooth and even.
The chocolate chunks look like chips right?
Right.
-Once surface is smooth, melt the remaining chocolate in a bowl, in a microwave and stir so chocolate doesn't harden fast.
- Melt the peanut butter.
Adventuretime
Did you know that you can burn peanut butter?
Like it turns into a dark brown color and leaves a potent smell in your kitchen, so when your corridormates come in the kitchen, they know that you are baking because it smells like something is burning.
Like really, did you know that? Or did I miss something?
See? 
I mean it still melted and stuff and it was fun, I was just surprised/confused that one can burn peanut butter.
But then again with all of the "little adventures" I have been having here, I WOULD burn peanut butter.
Back to baking
- Mix the melted chocolate and melted peanut butter into one bowl and stir well.
-Pour the mixture over the cracker/cookie, butter, chip paste and spread evenly.
- Once it covers the paste and is coated evenly, place in fridge for 2-4 hours or leave it over night for your 10AM breakfast snack.
-Once solid enough, cut into squares, serve on a plate to your corridor mates and watch them disappear. 
They will. Believe me.

Another day, another adventure for me. I swear by the time I will have gotten this baking in Sweden thing down, it will be June and time to go home. It always happens.

BREAKING NEWS
My corridor is hosting a corridor party, which is like cool and fun because Swedish parties are fun.
But there's a problem.
Before the party actually starts, there is something called a corridor crawl in which members of the corridor (like 12 of us total) go to room to room and drink and one of my corridor mates decided that each member should have a signature drink in each room for each person to have.
What? 
I have to make an alcoholic drink? The only thing I have made with alcohol is when I cook dinner and sometimes put white wine in my food or something.
I have to make a drink?
How does one make alcohol? 
The only one that came to mind was "The Molly" created by Molly Shannon in this parody of the Real Housewives of SNL (see at 3:35)
Does that work?
Also, I'm having at least 8 people in my small room and the most I have ever had in my BEDROOM is like 4, and at that time I felt claustrophobic .
Like what do I do? I know to play music but what kind of music? According to my family members, I listen to "hippie" music and by "hippie" music I mean 
Mumford & Sons
Of Monsters & Men
The Head and the Heart
and then there's
Backstreet Boys
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Bon Iver
Coldplay
Dave Matthews Band
a little Elton John
Florence & The Machine
Jack Johnson
The Lumineers
etc.
but then I have random songs like 
The Lonely Island
Michael Buble
Adele
The Rugrats Theme Song 
One Direction ( it's from SuperCamp don't judge)
Phil Collins
songs from Toy Story 1, 2, & 3
Disney Music
Like what if that pops up on my iTunes or worse they search through my iTunes and see it? 
What music do I play? Would it be weird if I played Swedish House Mafia? Is that trying to hard? Do Swedish people ACTUALLY listen to Swedish House Mafia? 
Or what if I played music of where I'm from? The "Yay Area" ( do people STILL say "yay area" anymore? Is that still a thing?)

Please help.
Any "how to make alcohol drink" advice and music recommendations are extremely needed.
You have until the 29th at 6pm. 
Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment