April 11, 2014

"would you like an adventure now," he casually said to John, "or would you like to have your tea first?"

I would like an adventure now, tea can wait.
March 29th, 2014
London decided to be in a good mood and give its city 70 degree weather, which was a surprise to us, as residents of Sweden, had not experienced sunlight since August. #swedenlife
Our first full day without tours, along with a sunny day, a few of us put on our nicest dresses/outfits and got ready for the sunny happy day.

First stop, true English breakfast
Toast, sausage, bacon, tomato, hash browns, fried egg and beans and a cup of coffee.
I ate this all, not a single thing was left on my plate.
With full bellies, we hopped on the tube and explored Hyde Park where cherry blossoms, sunshine filled with people who didn't want to grow up.





Peter Pan Statue: Hyde Park







First the changing of the guards, now no Princess Diana Memorial?
Ugh, London was just not poppin' when we were there.
(I'm still convinced "poppin" is word, despite what society's lingo says)

After taking a nice stroll down Hyde Park and soaking in the unfamiliar bright light that's called sun, we headed out to the Natural History Museum.
The museums in London are known for having free admission, and as a group of frugal students, we took advantage. Also, Kacey heard that there was a dinosaur exhibit and as a lover of dinosaurs, we went with her in support.















Dat dinosaur ass doe. 

He had just seen the latest episode of Scandal and so did I, which is why our faces are like that.

He didn't see the latest episode of Scandal and got mad at the other dinosaurs for telling him.
I've been there.
The next exhibit was the mammal exhibit and the first one we went to was my least favorite and least appealing
BIRDS



Like seriously, birds are ugly and the weirdest flying creatures ever.
Maybe it's the fact that I still hold a grudge on them for pooping on my head when I was 11 years old. I'll never forgive them for that.




Like what is this? 
 LAND & SEA MAMMALS
Narwhals!


Fun fact about the rhino's horn.
"The horn on the rhino is fake because of the real threat of theft for its supposed medicinal properties.
Although fake horns have no value, the market for real horn now threatens many rhino species in the wild."
(I totally wrote that off the top of my head, and not from the info board)
This also raises the speculation of rhinos being fat unicorns. If the rhino's horns are fake then they are not technically fat unicorns, because unicorn horns are real.




The sperm whale in a panoramic shot because it was too big to fit in one picture.
Also the main reason to watch out for people in panorama, because you might deform their face, as seen on this woman who walked into my picture.

I found PUMBAA! 

An anteater which is the sprit animal of my friend Madeleine.


SPACE
The space exhibit had boards of every planet describing their size, place in the orbit and fun facts about the planet. This was the fun fact for the planet Pluto:


This exhibit allowed visitors to go up the stairs to see what the Earth's core looks like, but in our visit this exhibit was closed.
GEMSTONES:





The inspiration for these rings were based on my jewelry box back at home.



This picture above was actually fascinating, like I had no idea that the type of water was what made the Flamingos feathers pink.
I guess it is true that you are what you eat, for flamingos in this case, if it was the case for humans, I would be a walking cookie cake topped with Nutella.
When we got our fill on Natural History, we split up and headed in different directions. Kacey and Cassie went to another museum and Jenn, Amanda and I went to a place to cross a road.
Please click and listen below as you browse through these photos:





When I was a senior in high school my English teacher asked us to do a "Passion Project". The purpose was to find something that we were passionate about and share it with the class in hopes that our passion can flow through others and bond more as the year came to a close. My project was "The Beatles". In this project, I described each Beatle, Paul, John, George, & Ringo and describe the meaning behind some of their famous songs. I then lead into how the Beatles have inspired me to lead a life of love, adventure and peace. It sounds hippie, I know, but the voices of those four men have lead me to enjoy the sunshine of the sun when it comes, accept love, make things better and to just let things be.


Beatles fun fact: The Mother Mary that is mentioned in this song, is not the Virgin Mary as people believe. It's Paul McCartney's mother, Mary who had come to him in a dream, during the times that the Beatles were breaking up and said, three simple words to him:
"Let It Be"


With that rewarding moment, we reunited in downtown and headed off to a pub since we heard of an Arsenal football (soccer*) game. Crowded around one pub and straining our necks to see the TV we watched the Arsenal vs. Manchester City football game that ended with a tie. 
*Note that I now call soccer, football. And that I call football, American football. How European have I become? Don't make fun of me when I come back and call the latest 49ers game, American football, it'll take me a while to adjust. 

Raised up in a household where the world revolved around football, I easily got into the feel of it and screamed at the tense moments and explained certain parts of the soccer game to my friends who didn't know. My friend Cassie, who was raised in a similar football house was also explaining and cheering, proving that we are our parent's children.

 Once the game was over, Ali, Cassie, Jenn and I realized we hadn't eaten all day and decided to munch on some Chinese food, since Chinatown was right near us. Seeing a Chinese buffet for 9 pounds we headed there to fill our stomachs with unlimited (as much as our stomachs could handle) food.
Interesting enough, the restaurant that we went too, gave us a menu of drinks and notices and we noticed at the bottom that the restaurant charged for having food left over on a plate.
"We reserve the right to charge for any wasted/uneaten food at .50pence per 100g."
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

 This was my first plate of 3 and yes everything was eaten minus some chicken bones, but I mean they couldn't charge me for that, because I would have no teeth as I was writing this post. 


 When our stomachs were full, we strolled around Chinatown some more took a picture (was photo bombed by Brits) and I found a English version of Sriracha.
It's not the Sriracha I'm used to, but it's still something. 







No comments:

Post a Comment