April 12, 2014

touring around trying to find Hugh Grant

March 30th, 2014
(I swear this is the second to last post, I promise, I just did a lot of things in London.....)
Since all the touristy items have been done and there was no Media related tours to go on, we decided to have a low day and do our own things.
Ali went to explore London more and visit places that were based on one of her favorite shows, Sherlock and explore more London sites.
Cassie decided to go back to one of the museum's she went to and then go to Tate Modern Art Museum.
Kacey decided to go sightseeing and get some running gear for her marathon coming up.
Amanda, Jenn and I decided to go to Notting Hill in hopes of finding Hugh Grant (and to see the Notting Hill that the movie was based on)
Before splitting up, we decided to have breakfast together at a Crepe place, serving sweet and savory crepes.
Trying to deciding between 10 flavors of savory and 10 flavors of sweet crepes is one of the hardest things ever, so many options and all I wanted to do was to eat all of it, but I didn't have enough pounds for that. So at the last minute when the waiter was asking me what I wanted, I went back to my roots.
La Nordique 
Crepe filled with salmon, cream cheese and cucumbers.
The most Swedish thing I could find and I got it.
There were no regrets.
To be honest, this was the best crepe, I had ever had and my friend Cassie can agree with me as she had half. 

After breakfast, Amanda, Jenn and I went and took tourist pictures at the London Eye, Big Ben, Old Palace and Westminster Abbey.









Westminster Abbey: The place were Prince William and Kate Middleton got married and where the craze of crazy hats was born.







After being a tourist, we headed off to Notting Hill and strolled around the small town in hopes of finding Hugh Grant.*
*We didn't end up finding him, but we did end up finding cute outfits, and delicious pastries.
This cafe was the first cafe we saw when we got off the tube, called Recipease (anyone that knows me will know why I love this cafe ::hint the pun::) this cafe sold pastries, and homemade bread that was made right in front of your eyes.





SEE I FOUND HIM! I FOUND HIM!
Just kidding, but it technically counts.



Throughout my week in London, I noticed that several of the houses had bright colored doors, mostly red. Which, in my mind, were the cutest things ever and made the houses in London even more adorable.

My friend Amanda thought so too.












After walking around, we took a pit stop to grab a bite to eat and when sitting down, we noticed this map. Each piece of yarn shows how many people from all over the world had eaten at the cafe we were at. Wanting to make our mark, we tried to convince the waitress if we could be on that map.
We didn't. I don't think the waitress was in a good mood at the time we came, or she was on of the people that disliked American accents.
It's times like these where I should have busted out my Spanish accent and told the woman that I am from Spain but picked up an American accent from watching too many American television shows.
Giving up on trying to get on the map, we walked to a bookstore and spent 30 minutes looking through books and remembering what it feels like to be in a bookstore holding a real book.


I found this shop on Yelp, while looking for a place to eat, obviously I freaked out and wanted to go, but to my dismay it was closed.
Ugh, of course



Back to the bookstore.
While searching for a book, I found one called "A Guide to the Swedes". 
Curious I picked it up and skimmed through, and when I stopped I found this sentence below:


"The Norwegians find the Swedes insufferably puffed up, while the Danes consider them to be party poppers. The British see them as sexy but cold, and the Americans think they are Swiss."
Never has a sentence been so true. 
I bought the book, and am now reading it and laughing hysterically on how this book is so accurate about Swedes. 

 Once it was time to go home, we were deciding what to do for dinner. My friend Jenn had pasta and tomato sauce at her place and Amanda wanted to make scones with clotted cream and jam.
What's scones with clotted cream and jam.
Well, one: it is British
Two: It is one scone cut in half, sandwiching thick whipped cream and jam and then pure satisfaction in your mouth.

Scones for the win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment