April 9, 2014

the americans: most wanted

March 28th, 2014
The last day of Media touring and the last day of barely taking any pictures, thank sweet little baby Jesus. I thought my picture taking reflexes were going to decrease and I wouldn't be able to take pictures the rest of the trip.

Our next to last stop was SAGE publications; an academic publishing company that I found out has published the majority of my textbooks from my elementary school, high school and college years. Who would've thought.
Sitting in a conference room learning about SAGE publications and the publishing industry, I learned three things:
1. The publishing industry wasn't going down the drain when ebooks and Kindles were coming out.
2. When typing a resume, don't ever put "detail oriented" or "I've always wanted to write ever since I was a child..."It just bugs the crap out of everyone.
3. If you don't know what you want to do with your life, dropping everything and moving to another country with one suitcase is totally acceptable, because something surprising might happen.
Now reasons why I took these three lessons:
First:
When the ebooks and Kindles were coming out, the idea that book publishing companies going down the drain were circulating all over the news. The thought of book stores and the ability to ever hold a book was almost going to be extinct in the future was panicking all English majors and book nerds, like myself (when I was an adolescent). But funny enough, some publishing companies, like SAGE, did not go down and were utilizing these new technological advances to help their publishing. So the women presenting wasn't too worried about her job, for now.
Second:
During the end of the presentation, the women decided to give us words of wisdom into applying into the real world. Reading applications monthly the women told us her biggest pet peeves in resumes and cover letters and wanted to help us out, because she knew how 20 year olds feel and wanted all of us to have jobs. This advice, was completely useful as I am know currently filling out job applications and updating my resume and teaching myself cover letters almost weekly. Any advice on how to get companies to like me is acceptable in my life right now.
Third:
The woman giving the presentation was originally from Vancouver, Canada, went to school in Portland, Oregon then did her Masters in South Korea. While researching in South Korea, the woman had a realization that what she was doing was not actually what she wanted to do, so she took her English passport (because she had dual citizenship for the UK and Canada) and moved to London with one suitcase and applied to dozens of jobs, soon landing an assistant job at SAGE and then moving up to Editor. So dropping everything and moving to another country is not ridiculous, it's actually beneficial, so there goes a back up plan for me.

After meeting and getting life advice from the woman at SAGE, we continued to get advice by accepting a good restaurant for lunch that she had recommended that was near Kings Cross Station. Eager and super hungry we took it and looped around the streets of London to find this place.






What's nduja you ask?
Well according to Wikipedia: 
Nduja is a spreadable pork sausage.
So there you go. Food fun fact of the day.

 The menu offered a variety of small plates and big plates. The waitress recommended us to either have 2 small plates, or one small plate and a big plate to fill us up.
So I got 2 small plates. The one pictured above is a Rabbit Mole served with tortilla chips (not pictured). The below picture is pork croquetas (or croquettes as the English speakers say)


 This was outside the restaurant where I captured a candid moment of my friends Cassie & Amanda.
Aren't they cute?

Our last stop was London's newspaper, The Guardian, here we were given a presentation about the history of The Guardian and its offices.
Once we were finished, we said our goodbyes to our professor and split off to do our own activities.
Jenn, Amanda, Cassie, Sara and Cynthia all went to Camden Market to check it out while Sofie, Kacey and I went to a pub and then saw a movie (movie title to be mentioned soon).
My friend Sofie had a friend that was staying in London, so we met up with her friend and stopped at a pub, not realizing that it was a Friday at 5PM and the pub was busy and poppin. (People still say "poppin" right? This whole 10 months away from the states hasn't gotten me out of the loop of the current lingo. I mean YOU do still say "poppin" RIGHT?)





No I did not drink all those 4 beers, I had 2 and the other 2 were for Kacey.
After that, we ventured off to see a movie. What movie did we watch that we couldn't possibly wait for until Sweden?
The Muppets Most Wanted starring our idol and hope-to-soon-to-be-best-friend- Tina Fey.
An ode to my childhood in another country.
Once the movie was over, we walked around the center square where we were, got a quick drink and then ended the night with some Fish n Chips.








Fun sighting:
This is the guy from the West End play ONCE, that I saw a couple of posts ago. My friend Kacey recognized him from the window and so my friend Sofie caught him before he was leaving to talk to him and to make sure it was the right guy from the play. 

It was. 

A good night it was filled with life talks, talking green frogs and diva pigs, leading to celebrity play sittings and fish and french fries and we ended up NOT being on London's Most Wanted, unless it was for Most Wanted for being Ridiculously Good Looking ;)




(ok I know that was bad, at least I tried though...)

No comments:

Post a Comment