March 25, 2014

Irish I could Russia on over there and Sweden your day

Something scary happened to me this past weekend. Like really scary


I had an identity crisis.
I was involved in so many cultures and so many countries' celebrations that at one point I forgot who I was.

Let me explain now.....
Friday March 14, 2014
Earlier that week, I was asked if I could work a dinner for a staff party and make the food. I happily accepted, because making dinner for people is fun for me and I had nothing else to do on a Friday night (I'm so lively).
The theme of the staff party was Russian theme so I had to make Russian food, a thing I had never made in my entire life, but was willing to try.
I mean how many times am I going to make a Russian meal for a staff party in my whole life?
And also my payment was in attendance at the staff party and alcohol, so I was all on board.

I started at 2pm, prepping all the food and getting everything ready with my co-workers. The items on the menu?
Borscht
Beef stroganoff
Kahlua and Vodka Brownies

We first began prepping the vegetables and beef for the two main dishes. My co-worker was in charge of chopping the vegetables and I was in charge of hacking and defeating the monstrous ball that was called roast beef.
5.8 Kilos (12 lbs) monstrous roast beef to cut, de-fat, chop and cook. 
By the time I had finished this monster, my co-worker had peeled and chopped onions, beets and carrots.
I'm obviously the skilled worker.
My co-workers and I then assembled the Borscht, Stroganoff and I obviously made the brownies. Finished cooking everything that we could before 6pm and then once we were done headed off downstairs to where the Russia theme staff party was.
This is, as seen before, a songbook that was placed on the table where I once again attempted to sing in Swedish and failed. 
BUT, great news, I was sitting next to a girl from Seattle who has been living in Sweden for 2 years and spoke it, and she complemented my attempt at Swedish and said that my pronunciation during one of the songs was really good despite me only knowing a few words.
Of course I freaked out and thanked her non-stop because that is probably and only the first time a person will ever complement my Swedish.

And this is the beer that I drank along with Russian Vodka and a special kind of Swedish alcohol because you know do as the Russians do: drink a lot of vodka. 
If you are wondering, no Russian came out of my mouth while drinking these beverages, if it did I would be really surprised at myself. Like really surprised.
The night ended well, the food was gone within minutes, my Swedish semi-improved and I went to the after party, where I danced on tables singing Bon Jovi, but don't tell my mother or she'll make fun of me for a long time. 

Monday March 17th, 2014
The day of the Irish. 
My day began with sleeping in since I didn't have class and of course sporting green because that's what I was told to wear on this day ever since I was 5. After eating lunch, I walked over to downtown to small cafe called Sandy's where I had a delicious chai latte and attempted to work on a group paper with my friends Jenn, Madeleine and Cassie. From there, we dropped our stuff off at Madeleine's place and then headed off to Norrland's Pub, Orvars Krog and had green beer and a burger and I got a free Guinness hat.
As I said before in a posted Instagram picture:
I am an American living in Sweden celebrating an Irish holiday.
Major identity crisis right there.

Also I had an Irish coffee which was a little too Irish for my taste.
At around 9pm we headed out, (I know we're old) and walked home since we had class the next day at 10AM.
And that concludes my weekend filled identity crisis. If you are worried, I'm ok the weird weather (which will be posted soon) got the identity crisis off my mind, but I am going to the UK which is another culture but thankfully they speak the same language so I'm not too worried to have an identity crisis. 
Enjoy this post and hope the only crisis that happens in your life you running out of Nutella or my newest obsession chocolate muffins. 
More posts to come to make up for the lack of posts there will be for the week I'll be gone. 




No comments:

Post a Comment