January 27, 2014

pam-plon pam-lon-pamplona

December 30th, 2013
My Spanish side of the family is from a small city called Pamplona, Spain.
If you are not familiar with the town, you might be familiar for its festival: Running of the Bulls
This small city, during the days of July 6th- July 14th, holds about thousands of people from all over the world wearing red and white, drinking, running with bulls and celebrating for 8 days straight.
This however was different in that it was not July and not the Running of the Bulls.
It was December and the biggest thing to happen in Pamplona was New Years Eve & Tres Reyes (which will come in a future post).

The first full day in Pamplona was a tour day, as my sister's boyfriend had never been to Pamplona, we were designated tour guides, and we were quite good. So hopefully two weeks later, I might be a good tour guide as I guide you through Pamplona with these pictures.

This is a water fountain.

This is the Spanish version of Dunkin' Donuts.
To me the name sounds more German than Spanish, but in Germany Dunkin' Donuts, is Dunkin' Donuts.
Why does Spain's Dunkin' Donuts have a German sounding name for the worldwide donut shop?
I don't know.



This is a camel. Unfortunately it wasn't Wednesday when this picture was taken so I couldn't say "Happy Hump Day!"
This camel along with 2 other ones were there for show for the Tres Reyes that happens on Jan. 6th (again, will mention in future post), they were getting ready for the celebration and were having children come up and take a picture of it.

This is a famous statue that stands in the middle of Pamplona showing the running of the bulls. Many pictures have been taken here and so I added a new one to the collection.
On the bottom of the statue says the word "Encierro" which is what the Running of the Bulls is called in Spanish. Instead of saying "corrido de torros" it's Encierro, it's like another code name for it or something like the code names for wine and beer. 



This is the Plaza Castillo (Castle Plaza) where many pretty buildings, cafes, and bars rest.
It is literally a square of these buildings and more where most people hang out, use as a meeting point and where New Year's Eve is celebrate (post to come)


During the time we were there, there were activities for children such as the picture above of human foosball.
(I did not participate in human foosball, although I did stand there and watch the kids get hit by bars. It was quite entertaining.)





This Encierro sign is placed on the side of the streets where the actual running of the bulls occur.
There is a specific street where this madness happens and these signs are there to explain to people the parts of the streets are during the run. As sign on the squiggly line next to the description. 


This is the Catedral of Pamplona where 3 years earlier, when my sister and I were there, we visited.
Newly restored with new attractions we took her boyfriend, Daniel there to show him and give him another tour.

Up in the corner, if you look closely, is a big red bell. When my sister and I were here those bells were taken down for cleaning.
Mind you those bells weigh A TON and by A TON, like 0438237892349 tons (ok well not that much, but they're pretty heavy, you get the picture)
3 years later, it still fascinates us on how they got the bells up and down weighing that much.

This is a broken clock that I found interesting.

And this is not a broken clock that I found really cool.


This is a gigantic head that sits in front of the Catedral.
To me it was another Lil' Sebastian, but sleeping.
Lil' Sebastian photo #5.
Fun fact about this head: across from it is another head and both heads are supposed to represent night and day (but they were both black, which kind of confused me about the day part)
And on the last day of our Spain trip, I read in the newspaper that these big ol' Lil' Sebastian heads would venture off to South America.
To put it into perspective: it's like those big bells being carried to South America. I will have no idea how they will do it.




This is the outside/inside of the Catedral in which there is a garden behind those elaborate bars. Where I took this picture in the walkway there were statues of saints and royalty and where I was walking on the wobbly walkway was dead people.
Yup, I was walking on dead people.



Yeah see those squares?
All dead people


"MY PRECIOUS"
hashtaglordoftheringsreference








This reminded me and my sister of our Uncle Tony (the one who hosts the famous Christmas Eve dinner) and when showed to my mother, she laughed as she knew we were right.
Anyone in my family, please see this picture, look closely and then tell me that this does look like Uncle Tony.

This is another Lil' Sebastian statue but with a six pack.
How a baby has a six pack? I don't know it's like an Arnold Schwarzenegger baby.
Lil' Sebastian look-alike picture #7.


This pink room lays in between the church as a representation of how the architecture today is represented.
Back in the Medieval times, architecture was either Gothic, Baroque and other forms that I can't seem to remember, but now in the modern times, architecture is more modern with simplicity and not much details as back in the day. 



After walking around the church for about an hour and a half and seeing remains of dead saints and statues of saints we walked into downtown before meeting up with our cousins and aunt and mom, to our favorite bar and introduced, Daniel to our favorite sandwiches


Bodegón Sarria: or BS as it is called is a typical Spanish bar with tapas and legs of jamón hanging of the bar and different kinds of beer on tap.

These are "Escombros" a delicious sandwich that consists of chiztora and jamón chopped into bits and pieces and then pressed in a panini press and then eaten with a caña in one hand.
They are delicious. Like super delicious in that it was the only thing we ate in that bar, we did not diversify.
They are that good. Take my word.

 After drinking about 2 cañas and eating our first Escombros in 3 years we walked back to the Plaza Castillo to wait for our cousins, my aunt and my mom. After 30 minutes of waiting, we finally met up and had lunch at Bar Otano- a bar we have been to many times in the past.

Now another fun fact about Spain: Lunch is their meal. Like bars and stores close for lunch during a certain hour and then open again at 5pm. And when I say lunch is their meal, I mean LUNCH is their meal.
During lunchtime, you get "el menu del dia" which translated is the "Menu of the Day" in which they give you 5 options for your first meal, 5-6 options for you second meal, and then 5-6 options for your dessert along with your coffee. Now if you thought Prague was a food-induced coma, think again, after your first plate you are ready for dessert and a nap.

My first plate was 8 fritos.
Fritos are like croquetas but like are fried and even more delicious.
They were 
jamón y queso ( Ham & Cheese)
Huevo (Egg)
Gambas (Shrimp)

This was my second dish
Bacalao: which translated is Codfish.
This stuff is delicious and much like the octopus, I only eat this in Spain.
It's like, ugh, so good.
Just look at it and when you are in Spain, just have it.
Please.

For dessert, I went light, apple pie with strawberry ice cream.
But even with a light dessert, it was a struggle to eat.

After filling my stomach with food we ventured to my grandmother's house for coffee where we ate even more.
Seen on table
Bread
Chorizo
Jamón
Champagne 

The big round things are chorizo which is like fried sausage in a salami form (but it is not salami)
Below is jamón- a much thicker version which I absolutely love.

These are pimientos (peppers) on top of bread, even more delicious

As mentioned earlier this is turron, which is a type of chocolate/non-chocolate dessert that is eaten during Christmastime.
It's kind of like Glögg for Sweden and Pumpkin Spice Lattes for the US. This is only served during the winter season.
Turron comes in many different flavors
Chocolate- which is my favorite
Almond
Honey flavor
Buter flavor
Below you will see other different types of turron that are in wrappers.
These kind have the texture of peanut butter as they stick to the roofs of your mouth when eaten.
Also there is a saying that when you eat these  you have to say "Pamplona" because your mouth is full with this thick stuff and is hard to say with the turron in your mouth.
(I did not participate in this, I just ate it)

Below pictured is what my godfather made called
"Flan con Pan"
or
Bread Flan.
Flan with bits of bread in it that is delicious and sweet and just the right touch before your tights get too tight on your stomach .
(Does that happen to anyone? Like when you eat so much that your jeans/tights start to get tight and press against your stomach? Or is it just me?)
If you don't know what Flan is (which I hope you do)
Then get out from under your rock, go google it and then go to a restaurant where they serve it and eat a ton of it. 
This stuff is delicious and amazing.

And thus concludes my first full day in Pamplona.
More food comas to come plus more cities into the Basque Country
(Basque Country post to follow)





No comments:

Post a Comment