January 23, 2014

lost in (Czech) translation

December 27th, 2013
The full day of Czeching Prague out was a busy day filled with lots of walking, map reading, and non stop beer and food coma.
Ladies and gentlemen:
Prague Castle, Prague, Czech Republic

First order of business was the Prague Castle. The notable, huge, famous Prague Castle that sits on a high hill in Prague and that makes people feel in awe of its architecture.
Attempting to figure out the bus station from downtown Prague, lost in translation.
Another moment in lost in translation was maps.
Luckily, having traveled and living in a foreign country for 4 months, reading a map in different languages was not a big deal for me, my mother and my sister, however, it was. Luckily, also my sister's boyfriend was a good map reader, so if I ended up being wrong, my mom and my sister could point the finger at someone else.
Fortunately, I was right and so was he, so no fingers were pointed and all was happy.
The picture above was taken by my mother. We were on the bus to the Prague Castle and were double checking what stop we were going to get off at and whether we were going the right way.
We were.
If there is one thing to know about European buses and metros is that they are filled with lots of different colors and different languages. After reading it a couple of times, you get used to it...kind of.
After getting off and dodging a huge tourist group of 20 plus people, we took our time taking pictures of everything and being amazed at Prague architecture.



The teal tower is the Prague Castle and the brown/gray building on the right is St. Vitus Church which will be pictured soon.

Entrance to the Prague Castle

And obviously we took a picture with the guard.
Also note that in this picture my eyes are closed and my sister's eyes are open, which in past pictures it's the other way around..I don't know how this happened, I'm confused too.

Changing of the guards, if by any chance I miss the changing of the guards in London, England, at least I was able to see the changing of the guards in Prague, or changing of the guards in Europe in general.
(I sometimes secretly wish that the US would have something like this, and by sometimes secretly, I mean I really wish that the US would have something like this)












This is the plaza before the church and the castle, in the midst of buying tickets for the castle and hanging out here, my mom took about 20 pictures of my sister, her boyfriend and I......

These are two out of 20 pictures and as much as I would love to show the full 20,  I thought these were the best. 
Obviously.
And then we entered another plaza in which we witnessed a huge church (I would say the biggest church but after seeing La Sagrada Familia, no church is bigger than that one).

St. Vitus Church
Now I will say this, St. Vitus Church is huge in that when trying to take a picture of just the front of the church was a challenge.
Luckily having a Canon, I could capture the main part of the front entrance, but there were some poses I had to get in order to get the right angle.
It's all about dem angles doe. 
(True photographer right there, also holding that position for 30 seconds was a struggle which I took as a sign that I need to go to the gym....)





My mother made me take pictures of Gargoyles, so that's why there's so many pictures of gargoyles.

Side of the church and also the teal tower that was pictured before.




::Knock Knock::
You never know who's home.



(Although this guy is not a gargoyle, he kind of freaked me out...like he's just staring at you...smiling)

And now the inside of the church....














 Also in this blog posts of my adventures during Christmas/New Years is the montage of Lil' baby Sebastian's. In honor of our little chunky cousin, every chunky angel baby we saw was a European version of Lil' Sebastian. (As seen pictured below)

Lil' Sebastian #1

Lil' Sebastian #2



Also seen in the church, which came to my mother's surprise, so much surprise that she created a Facebook album dedicated to this.
A bread Nativity Scene
But I mean I don't blame my mom for creating a specific Facebook album of this bread nativity, it's the Yeast she could do since her father and her husband are bread bakers. 







It looked like a magic lamp.
And no, a cool genie did not appear, Disney heightened my expectations a little too much.



After an hour of touring St. Vitus, we left the church admired it again from the outside and explored more of the castle area.







Nativity Scene made out of hay.
::insert hay pun here::


(This is a red building behind the church, the smaller building on the right that is connected to the big red building is a smaller church in which we headed into.)

LAWWDD! DA BACK OF YO' CHURCH IS RIDIKULOUS! 














Lil' Sebastian #3



Then we headed out of this small church and went down a hill that was next to this building. 
Down the hill were small houses that were once belonged to peasants and workers that lived behind the church. Their homes were still in kept along with stories of who they were, along with that were knight armor and clothes in kept from the Praug-ian times (Disclaimer: I don't know if "Praug-ian" is a historically correct term...actually it's not..so if you are a history fanatic/major/fact checker, disregard this, I had no other word to describe that time. I apologize)
Note: People in Prague back in the day, were really tiny, as in shorter than I am (I'm 5''4 if you were wondering). So, they were pretty short.

The Torture Room

Note the Silence of the Lambs looking mask on the ladder.
This torture room was the real deal


The hallway where all the different knight armor was laid from different time periods in Prague.





I like this one, I shall call him,



The clothes that were worn by royalty in Prague.






Below is the above mentioned "Hobbit" houses and rooms that are still intact during the (disclaimer) Prague-ian times.









 Also as I mentioned, these houses are "Hobbit" houses as seen below
This is Daniel, he is over 6 feet and this is him in a Hobbit door.

After squeezing through these rooms and going down claustrophobic stairs up and down, we settled down for another Prague food coma.
Sidenote: Walking around the Hobbit houses and small Hobbit vintage shops, I came across this sign.
Beer cosmetics....only in Prague

 Looking for a place to eat was not difficult as there were only 2 places in the castle area. One near the castle and one farther down.
We chose the one closest. 
One because it was the first one we saw and two it had Czech food, which was perfect for our 2 day Czech diet.
Pictured below is my lunch
A brick (yes a brick) of potatoes and bacon bits with a Pilsner Urquell.
I ate half of this and almost fell asleep at the table.
If this doesn't put you in a food coma, I don't know what will.
It was delicious though, don't get me wrong.


Up next, the view of Prague, Charles Bridge, more Christmas markets and where a famous person sat.....I hope I haven't lost you








No comments:

Post a Comment