January 11, 2014

mamma mia my ears

December 23rd, 2013
Okay let me get one thing clear before I start discussing that day's adventure.
1. I personally do not like the music of ABBA and only went to the museum for my mother. My mother enjoyed it as it was like a grown-up Disneyland for me.
I tried to avoid the music as much as possible....it was impossible.


Bright an early at 8AM, my mom and I hopped on the train to Stockholm and ventured off to the museum.
About an 30 minute walk from the central station in Stockholm, we hopped on a bus and walked 15 minutes to the museum.
Now to find the museum was an adventure.
As my mother and I are obviously related, we spend the majority of the walk talking pictures of everything around us.




Selfie #4 of 51


After about 30 pictures including 1 selfie, we continued our walk to the museum.
Now, when looking up the museum the picture on the Internet, this is what showed up:
So obviously expected to see the museum from the waterfront.
Nope.
Apparently, and I should have known this before, the Internet is not always right. 
We literally walked back and forth try to find it. Nothing.
And then we figured out that we had passed it 3 times, thinking it was just the gift shop.
This is the actual museum. Another thing I should have learned is that the Internet lies. 
Arriving promptly at 10 when the museum opens we walked downstairs to where the REAL museum was and began my adventure down the world of ABBA.
I braced myself.
The first exhibit was a 2 minute mini-movie on how ABBA became a huge hit, and then we entered into the museum.
Now I will admit one thing: the history of how the band got started and how they got involved in music was interesting but the music, not so much.
Fortunately, I was allowed to take photos in the museum, which I liked but no videos, so fortunately for you, your ears will be saved.
1st exhibit into the museum which introduced each member of the band.


Fun-ish Fact: the members of the band were couples, the one on the left side of the bench kissing are a couple and a the ones on the right were a couple.
MAJOR Double date if you ask me.


The costumes worn by the band when they first performed their song for the Eurovision* in the 1970s.
*Eurovision is this huge show broadcast in Europe that is the biggest deal ever. It's kind of like the finale of American Idol when it was still cool, but like 10 times bigger.


Another feature of the costumes, made this one not so much but it is a definition of 70s  disco wear.


ABBA clogs. According to my mother, these shoes were THE shoes in the 70s in which she later admitted that she owned a pair when she was my age.
::shudder shudder:: I can't even....What is?....Why?...
I can't even create a full sentence on how I feel about this.....

These creepy big mouthed puppets were from a movie about ABBA released not too long ago (not Mamma Mia, another ABBA movie...yes there was another ABBA movie)
These puppets were made in Prague (so my next trip has been involved with this Swedish band) and were the main characters in the movie. Next to the glass case was a TV screen showing the movie, but it didn't make the puppets less scary.

This is a hall of all the albums ABBA has released from all over the world plus the crazy, bright, 70s outfits they wore in concerts.
If I ever wore these outfits outside today, I would stick out like a sore crayfish LIKE STICK OUT LIKE A SORE CRAYFISH.




The last exhibit featured the movie of Mamma Mia including pictures of the cast of Mamma Mia and ABBA itself.
The little excerpt on the bottom right hand corner talks about how the band ABBA loved Meryl Streep and her performance in the movie and how they exceeded their expectations while singing their music.
Uh, duh,  ABBA it's Meryl Streep will always exceed our expectations, she's amazing in everything, even the flu (see 5:42)

After the exhibit my mother left a message on the ABBA message book for (mostly her) to remember.


 After the ABBA museum exhibit was a Swedish Music Hall of Fame which was my favorite.
It showed the evolution of music in Sweden from the 1930s to today.


 This little rooms played music from that year plus little excerpts of what was going on in Sweden and how that genre of music influenced Sweden.


After we left the exhibit and my ears were not hurting so bad, we returned to downtown Stockholm and had some lunch to get prepared for the Stockholm Christmas markets, shopping and more pictures.
Cannoli's that my mother had

Prosciutto Panini that I had



Background story:
This picture was supposed to be a selfie, but then a kind hearted Swede asked if she could take the picture for us. 
I think this turned out better, also because it was super windy and if we had taken a selfie, you wouldn't have seen our faces.
Selfie # 4 1/2 I guess...



Stockholm Christmas Market!


And of course I had to bring my mother to sit down and enjoy a Chocolate cake that I once had when I previously went to Stockholm.
Anyone that I take to Stockholm will have this chocolate cake in this cafe, like it's mandatory, this cake is delicious and with a latte, Ugh, my mouth is drooling.


At around 6pm we hopped back on the train, had dinner in Uppsala and nestled back into the hotel room to get ready for our first Christmas Eve/Christmas in Sweden!









No comments:

Post a Comment