September 2, 2013

my first day

Today was my first day of Swedish school, strangely it wasn't as adventurous as I thought it would be, but there were some mini-adventures.
1. I couldn't find my schedule. The day that I start class and I couldn't find my schedule.
Who has two thumbs, a messy bun and is a responsible 20 year old? <---This girl is.
Let me explain, though. Like really, let me explain.
I did find my schedule a couple of days ago and saw that my class started at 5, so I was like cool, I get to sleep in.
And then it disappeared on me. Don't ask me how, I just couldn't find it.
Luckily with a help from a friend and searching the Swedish internet for a solid hour, I found the correct time and place for my class to start. 4 hours before my class started.
Now I'm a responsible 20 year old with two thumbs and a messy bun.

Then I took a walk, one to get air since I was cooped up in my room for 2 hours and also to turn in a paper, and I got lost.
I know, just when I thought I knew my way around, I ended up getting lost. I guess I spoke to soon when I stated that I know my way around.
But let's be real, this place was right next to a cemetery hidden by trees, a quite modern looking building for being next to a cemetery. But I found it and that's all that matters.

Now let's get to my very first day.
This is the building where I will be taking all my classes.
Modern looking-cool right?
Except for the part where I almost went to the wrong building.
Yup, I was that new student. 15 minutes before class and I almost went into the wrong classroom.
Luckily, I asked and got into the right classroom.
Still that responsible 20 year old...
I then sat in a classroom filled with 30+ students for 2 hours and my brain got overwhelmed.
My brain started to hurt and it's still recovering.
Too many projects/assignments/group work all smushed into 4 weeks.
And to top it all off, 3 days where I am 8am classes.
Joy. 
On the bright side, I made new friends!
Yay for new friends!!!!

Fun fact: 
During a 10 minute break in class, we got free coffee.
Yes free coffee.
Good Swedish coffee, nice and hot and brewed with cream and sugar for us to have during class.
I'm not kidding, this happened.
I got so excited you have no idea.
If this is what it's going to be like every class time, I am so excited to go to class everyday now.

And that was my day, not as adventurous but was semi-eventful.

Oh and I almost forgot.

I GOT A BIKE!!!!!!!!! 
don't all celebrate at once.
But yes, I got a purple beach like cruiser bike for 900SEK and I'm still adjusting to it.
And today I attempted to bike to class and be like all the Swedish students, cool right?
Not when you are wearing a maxi dress where it is short in the front and long in the bike and it's a windy day.
Whoever said "nothing is impossible" clearly has never biked in a maxi dress on a windy day in Sweden. 
It was a balancing act to hold the long part of the dress in one hand and the handlebar of the bike in another and attempt to not flash the locals on the bike.
The wind was not in my favor because I ended up walking with my bike half of the time.
The one time I try to look Swedish and fit in and I end up failing.
Note: do not attempt to ride a bike with a maxi dress, either change or walk it.

End of first day of school story, here is a new tune:




No comments:

Post a Comment