September 13, 2013

sweden 101

Today was my first official day of Swedish class.
Yes, the day that you/ I have been waiting for. I am no going to learn Swedish and hopefully be one with the locals.
Here are some of the words that I learned.

Hello- Hej (pronounced "Hey")
Realization: I have been saying "Hi" in Swedish my entire life not knowing that I was speaking Swedish. ::mind blown::

Yes - Ja (pronounced "Ya")
Ya Know?

USA- USA (pronounced: oo!-ess!-ah! -- exclamation point necessary)
It was at this moment that me and a girl from California proceeded to chant OO-ESS-AH in the middle of class. 'Murica patriotism right there.

I learned sentences and how to introduce myself, but those pronunciations are still a work in progress. Maybe next post or the post after that.

After my Swedish class I biked over to my next class, which is my media class where I had to do a group presentation.

First, let's start with the bikes.
Normally I would have walked to the building as it is still sunny and warm and I want to take advantage of that, but I decided to be Swedish and bike to class. It was fine, nothing happened
...but let me tell you about the parking.
When I say a lot of people in Uppsala bike, I mean A LOT OF PEOPLE IN UPPSALA BIKE.
Literally.
Parking my bike in front of the building reminds me of parking in Walnut Creek during the holidays....or parking in Walnut Creek in general.
Walnut Creek status right there.
It took me about 5 minutes to figure out where I could park my bike and eventually found one, but I had to squeeze it in. It was a struggle, but I did it.
Note: the building that I'm about to show is not the building that we normally meet, this was a special day where we had to present presentations on a special board. 
Please observe the photos:
That big circular thing under the gray bowl is where my classroom was.

interactive white boards, we got really excited.

like really excited

This was our presentation on Women of Color in American Television, like I said: we had a little too much fun.

Lena Dunham was the devil for our presentation.
Note: I do not think Lena Dunham is the devil, I absolutely love this show and her writing styles, it just related to what we were saying. Lena if you ever read this, I'm sorry, I didn't do this.
Background story: Ours and other presentations were on smart boards like this all around the room and the purpose was to present this to the class and give critique on what they could do better.

Our presentation went semi- well and I say semi-well because well, my professor cannot make up his mind. 
To make this story short: When we first presented our idea the original idea was "Women Representation in American Television" but,the professor didn't like it, and gave us no critique. Then we asked for his critique again and he said he liked the idea, but needed to make it more specific, thus lead to the topic of "Why are there so few women of color in American television". 
He didn't like it. 
His body language was a little insulting as I was presenting (if you have done SuperCamp one would understand how important body language is when a person is talking). As his critique was as confusing as his critique in the beginning. He interrupted me during the presentation and gave me the "you are doing this all wrong" attitude.
I'm sorry professor but when you ask us to pick any topic in Media and give us a free for all, there shouldn't be a "you are doing this all wrong attitude". Get your shit together Carol. 

But enough of my rant on my professor

Let's get to what I ate today.
WAFFLES!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I had myself my first Swedish waffle. I even made a scene in the cafe when I found out, hashtag judge me hashtag whoa fimage. 

It was delicious and just like I imagined it. 
Let's gaze on this beauty. 

Isn't it beautiful?
And yes it was delicious. Very delicious, I would have had more but I got too full.
Maybe next time, because there will be a next time.

Quick bit before I let it go.

Biking to and from my dorm has been easy but there is one thing I forgot to mention. There are bugs here and lots of them. Little tiny black bugs that fly on you and get stuck and sometimes get in your eye when you're biking so you have to stop in the middle of the bikeway and skillfully rub you're eye so you don't ruin your eye makeup but successfully get the bug out.
Ja, those bugs.
Half the bike ride, I'm swatting away at these little black nuggets on my shirt and my face.
Also, I realized that just like slow drivers in America, there are slow bikers in Sweden and when I mean slow drivers I'm targeting the elderly population. (I'm sorry, but there is such thing as going to slow and taking up the whole road/bike path taking their sweet time........it exists).
Of course, my genetic road rage kicked in and I became that angry bike rider who sped up next to the slow bike rider and then biked in front of them, just like the drivers do in America.

I became that person.

That's all the ranting/storytelling I have for today folks, maybe next post will be a little lighter......

Below My Feet - Mumford & Sons


No comments:

Post a Comment