December 4, 2013

wrap up

As December now starts and I have kind of been slacking on what I did last week, here is a complete wrap up of my Thanksgiving.

November 28th, 2013
Thanksgiving Day
Now most are probably wondering if I cooked/baked anything on national Turkey Day.
No.
But I almost did.
The original plan for Thanksgiving was all the Americas (aka The Californians) to get together into one room and each cook a Thanksgiving meal.
What we didn't know was that the most experience we had with making Thanksgiving was making dessert and providing drinks and nobody really knew how to cook a Turkey.
So luckily a student nation hosted a Thanksgiving dinner for Americans and International students.
It was a big relief that I didn't need to cook a Turkey or stuff anything up its butt. I was a little worried.
But I did bake something!


Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Baileys Cream Cheese Frosting
2 sticks of butter
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 cups of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 bottle of Guinness (<-- yes you read that write, ONE bottle of Guinness, trust me)


-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Combine butter and Guinness into sauce pan over medium heat on stove.
-Add cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool.
-In medium sized bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda,  and salt and whisk together.
-In a large bowl, whisk together eggs. Add the stout-butter mixture and mix to combine.
- Mix the dry ingredients until well incorporated.
- Pour into cake pan (or cupcake tins) and bake for  17-20 minutes.

Baileys Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Take store bought cream cheese frosting
2. Put 2-3 shots of Baileys.
3. Mix well and spread over cake when cake is cooled.

Feed to corridormates, wish them a Happy Thanksgiving and watch the cake and plate disappear.


If you watch Portlandia, you will understand that when I saw this at the grocery store I started laughing uncontrollably.
If you haven't seen Portlandia, I recommend it.





I made an Irish style cake, on an American holiday, living in Sweden and ate with international students.
I may be having an identity crisis.
Please help (and by help I mean waffles).

After making this wonderful and obviously delicious cake, I ventured off to the student nation to have my 1st Swedish Thanksgiving with my new Swedish family.

The dinner cost about $30 and included all you can eat Thanksgiving buffet and 2 beers/cider.
Here is the above picture of my 2 beers.


My Thanksgiving Meal. Like a true American I filled my plate with food until I couldn't see it.
Turkey, Mashed Potatoes with Gravy, Stuffing, Green Bean Casserole & Sweet Potatoes.
(They weren't like my aunt and uncle's delicious, homemade Thanksgiving meal--Michelle/Jose if you are reading this 
HI THERE!!!!, but it was a good substitute)
And then of course there was dessert which was the classic Pumpkin pie, in which I had 3 slices.
If you are wondering yes, I did fall into a major food coma and fall asleep at, what is probably the earliest time I have ever gone to bed since the day I got to Sweden, 
10:45 PM.
It was the best and satisfying sleep ever. 
November 29th, 2013
Oh and if you are wondering about my previous post about the corridor party that I was slightly freaking out about.
It went well. I saw this article, threw my hands up in frustration and stress and said 
"Screw it! Let's get drunk off of desserts!"
It worked.
Deep Red Wine Cupcakes (like DEEP, like I put 4 1/2 cups of wine instead of the 1 cup it called for)
And the wine that I used?
Literal conversation that went in my as I was looking at the Red Wine section of the store.
My brain:
K, let's get Spanish wine cuz I'm like half- Spanish so that works.
::Looking for the cheapest wine they have, sees the above wine::
Well like this has a good percentage of alcohol and like it's like cheap and Spanish so it works.
::reads name::
Rom-....Romi...Romeo
WAIT ISN'T THAT MY LAST NAME?
WAIT THAT TOTALLY IS MY LAST NAME?!?!?
Wait...since when did we start selling wine in Sweden?
Did my family forget to tell me something?
:: Has minor freak out, takes picture and then goes and buys wine::
Now let's just forget the fact that I forgot what my last name was and let's celebrate that my family name is on a wine bottle.

November 30th-December 4th, 2013
Sleep, eat, walk around town, finally take my Swedish test and preparing for the snow. 

Also thanks to this video that I saw this morning, I will be one step closer to making Swedish food.
By: Scarlett Johansson & the beautiful looking Seth Meyers

Also enjoy this video/song, like I did while writing this blog and in the midst of my "dancing" almost deleted this whole blog.
Whoops.

By: Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake



No comments:

Post a Comment