December 13, 2013

Christmas in the air

As said before, the Swedes take Christmas seriously, and I love it.
Lights are in the air, hanging over the streets in the downtown area, Christmas music is being played in Swedish versions' of Starbucks  and the smell of cinnamon, nutmeg and gingerbread lifts your nose into heaven.
It's beautiful.

Yesterday my friends and I ventured off to Stockholm to see our very first Christmas markets and do some little Christmas shopping.
Now as a person from Northern California, Stockholm is the equivalent to San Francisco when it comes to Christmas, except everything is in Swedish and buildings are green, red and yellow, not overbearingly tall and gray.
As for someone who is from Southern California, I don't know what city Stockholm is equivalent to, SoCal people, please help.

Leaving Uppsala at 10:30 we hoped on the 11:11 train (yes I made a wish) and arrived in Stockholm at 11:45ish.
Now after 2 1/2 days of snow, we were expecting some bit of snow, because snow and Christmas markets sound so beautiful together, but unfortunately we lucked out and got a windy sunny day, which in reality was a nice break from the snow.

Strolling around Old Town Stockholm, and hitting mostly every souvenir shop, we finally hit the wonderful Christmas market.
Located in the center of Old Town Stockholm in front of the colored buildings 10 little markets settled, selling food, and Christmas ornaments/goodies.
I was ready to jump for joy and bring out the kid inside as a first timer in Christmas markets. But unfortunately, 30 plus kids around the age of 8-12 took over that job for me.
Filling their mouths with candy spray, candy powder and anything candy related, little Swedish children were running around us, screaming and pushing. It took the joy out of me in the Christmas markets.
Oh, let me look at Christmas ornaments? Nope, let instead let me get trampled by 3 10 year olds because they HAD to get Swedish powder candy or else their lives would be over.
Oh, let's stroll through the markets and take a pit stop to see what they are selling?
Nope, let's take a step and stop so we don't get pushed by 10 year olds screaming at the people in the markets because THEY WANT THE CANDIED NUTS.
We left ASAP.
A little part of me prayed that these kids will not be there when I go again with my mother, or else I will lose it.

Other than the unfortunate adolescent hyperactive kids, walking around Stockholm with Christmas decorations everywhere I went, was beautiful. Even during the 3:30 sunset, the hanging Christmas lights brought a little light to our holidays.





















Christmas is in the air and everything is at peace.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment