August 23, 2013

day two adventures

This is when the day gets more interesting.
Woke up after my 10 hour sleeping night and decided to run my first errand.
Sidenote:
The night before I had gone to a local supermarket to get breakfast materials, cereal and milk. Simple right?
Nope.
Apparently yogurt comes in cartons just like milk, because I'm pretty sure I ended up getting yogurt. So I had corn flakes and yogurt in a bowl. #totalforeignmove.
Back to my errand.
Go get my Internet account and get Internet because this no Internet for a day and a half makes me feel like I'm on deserted island.
It took me 2 full hours to walk there and back, plus I got lost.
But I found it and got some good pictures during it.









I ended up finding it and obviously getting Internet. But you want to know the best part.
I GOT MY LUGGAGE!!!!!!!!!!!
Right when I arrived back home, my luggage was there waiting for me, waiting to be opened. Biggest relief if you ask me. 
Although I didn't unpack right away as you might think, no, I took a 3 hour nap because I was still jet lagged and then I unpacked.
But that wasn't the adventure.
Let's talk about the shower.
This is what it looks like,
Again modern right?
Yes it is a little weird that there is no tub with the shower, its just all together. That wasn't the adventure.
If you look closely, you can see that there isn't really a turn knob or button to turn the shower on. I figure this out a day after I moved in and right when I'm about to take a shower.
I know that every shower is different in majority of households, in majority of countries, but this one was definitely different.
I couldn't for the life of me find that button/knob that turned the shower on. I looked everywhere, on the pipes, on the shower head, shower rod, the toilet (I was desperate, you never know). Nothing.
I got frustrated. I mean I know the Swedish are modern and everything but modern doesn't necessarily have to be complicated.
I then got creative.
Well what if it was like one of those motion showers where if you stand under the shower the water appears.....Nope
I then thought it was one of those clapper showers, where if you clapped it turned on....I clapped...Still nothing.
Then I did the smart thing which I should have done 20 minutes before doing any of these weird moments, I asked my hall mate.
Turns out you turn the sink on and then there is a tiny knob on the pipe you turn and then WaLah! shower is turned on and you control the temperature from the sink.
Who would have thought?
Eventually I did take a shower and it was totally fine. I survived and now know how Swedish showers work. No need for magic showers or clapping in the bathroom.
The adventure still continues though...
After the shower incident, I started to get hungry so, luckily, near where I live there is a small supermarket where I ventured down and got some dinner.
Adventure time:
The entire store is in Swedish, so finding dinner was interesting. On the menu was just a sandwich, just a simple sandwich. 
I found some wheat bread for 19.90 kronas ( $3 USD), went back to my Spanish roots and got jamon serrano, and then I went to cheese section. I'm pretty sure I spent about a solid 10 minutes in front of the cheese aisle because I had no idea what to get. It wasn't that the cheese labels were in Swedish, it was whether or not I was getting the RIGHT cheese. 
Is there even a right cheese in Sweden? What was THE cheese to eat in Sweden? Like really, I'm trying to fit in here, and I can't even figure out what cheese to buy. Like I didn't want the Swedish cashier to judge me because I got the weird cheese, I would have totally looked like a foreigner, it's the yogurt incident all over again. After 10 minutes of fighting with my conscious, I finally find a cheese that I recognized and looked decent
I got the Gouda.
My purchase was successful, my dinner was delicious. Oh and I finally figured out what the RIGHT milk was and will probably no longer have another yogurt incident.

As a SuperCamp TL would say "Oh! Estibaliz"



No comments:

Post a Comment