August 23, 2013

day one adventures

I'm here. Officially in Uppsala, Sweden and it has already been an adventure.
After a 14 hour flight which consisted of bland airplane food, 5 cups of coffee and consistent sleeping, I finally arrived at 12pm on Wednesday. But that wasn't the adventure.
It began with my luggage.
After 20 minutes waiting for my luggage to appear on the rotating circle, it didn't appear.
And then I waited another 10 minutes. Nada.
After consulting with the lady from the airport, turned out that my luggage was still chillin in Zurich and wouldn't get back until the next morning.
Sarcastic "Awesome".
All I had was my backpack with nommie-noms and an extra pair of underwear, my phone, iPod, camera, my papers and my wallet.
All I thought to myself was, "just get on the bus to Uppsala and figure out everything from there."
Waiting for the bus wasn't too bad, although I did have an old man approach me and start a conversation with me in Swedish, I was flattered that he thought I was Swedish but a little freaked out.
30 minute bus ride later, I officially arrived in Uppsala. Waiting for me was my new found Swedish buddy/friend and thank the Lord he was there or else I would probably not be here to write this post.
And on a positive flip, I'm kind of glad my luggage was late, because it would have been a struggle bus to carry my big fat neon orange suitcase and my bulky carry on all around Uppsala. (Everything is on purpose). We walked from one building, to the next and finally came to my room. FINALLY.

Modern right?
Funny story about this room (another adventure).
When I walked in, there was already a lamp, duvet cover (uncovered), books and little knick knacks everywhere. My immediate thought, "oh cool the person the year before left this cool!"
But then I saw a white piece of paper. It looked like a checkout list, so naturally I still thought it was from the person last year, then I saw the dates. 
August 16th, 2013- June 13th, 2014
Wait......
I then thought "Did they give me someone else's room and just not realize it? What the hell is going on?"
Then I found out, from a Swedish hall mate, that there was a person living here before me, who apparently went back to home town of Canada and is not returning. 
So to wrap the story all up, I got a duvet cover, sheets, towels, a lamp, 2 mini rugs and a bunch of hangers fo' free. (hashtag win)
Also I slept for 10 hours, which was glorious, I haven't slept that long since finals week ended.
And that concludes my day one adventures...don't worry there are day 2 and 3 adventures, be patient.


No comments:

Post a Comment