May 8, 2014

4-20

April 20th, 2014
Easter day, Hitler's birthday, A certain plant's birthday and my friends 21st birthday.
4-20 was a big day in my book.
Back when I was in California, I would take the drive to Dixon (near Sacramento) with a plate of desserts in my hand and an empty stomach tucked away in my newly spring dress that had been hidden in my closet slowly collecting dust during the wintertime. One in Dixon, I would be welcomed by my relatives with never ending hello kisses and food all over the counter, table and outside the table. BBQ would be going and chips and guacamole and other appetizers would fill my stomach no matter how many times I told myself to pace myself  to slow down on the chips and guac, but as a Californian there is no pacing oneself when it comes to chips and guac.
When I don't have chips and guac in my hand, I usually am with the little cousins "helping" them hunt Easter eggs and watch them shake the eggs hearing if there is anything in it.
With all the Easter eggs collected and little room left in my stomach, a number of us gather around the table squeezing in together eating and talking in Spanish, English & Spanglish.
This Easter, I took the walk from Flogsta to my friend Madeleine's house with a plate of Maple Cake in hand and an empty stomach. I wore my spring dress that I had bought in London, with bare legs (I know, shocking) and was welcomed with warm hugs and a decorated table filled with candy and pink and yellow decorations.
Decorating eggs, filling our stomachs with pasta and endless talks, Madeleine, Jenn and I headed off to Easter Sunday mass and then returned to enjoy coffee and cake and watch the sunrise at 9PM.




Easter in Sweden was the perfect Easter I needed, quiet and calm with a close group of friends and soaking in all the sunshine and warmth that Sweden and my friends now offer. It did feel weird not to be in a household where 3 different languages (Spanish, English and Spanglish) are spoken and there is not a moment of silence (except for grace before eating). 
I hope your Easter was as peaceful and cultural as mine was, and hope you are still recovering from all the Easter chocolate that you have been (or still are) consuming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment